Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank/Healer guardian build

3 posters

Go down

Tank/Healer guardian build Empty Tank/Healer guardian build

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:25 am

After leveling my guardian, I was going to go zerker everything but then I changed my mind. I already have a zerker warrior and I didn't think guardian could outdamage it which was pointless... I had always wanted to play a character as tank, with a shield and everything, like in my old WoW tanking days. So I checked up the skills and traits and tried to work out a good tank build (which was a bitch since Anet charge for traits now). I've got a build I've been using for some time now and I think it works really well so here comes the wall of text.

Traits
2 points in Valor
+100 toughness, +100 ferocity
Valorous Defense: Gain aegis when you are struck while below the 50% health threshold
(V)Purity: Lose 1 condition every 10 seconds

To be honest, the 2 points in Valor was kind of a dump of excess points. I picked up purity to help me a bit dealing with conditions and get extra toughness and I'm aware it does nothing to the group. If you feel you'd like to spend that somewhere else, feel free.

6 points in Honor
+300 Vitality, +300 Healing Power
Vigorous Precision: Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
Selfless Daring: The end of your dodge roll heals nearby allies.
Elusive Power: Deal 10% more damage when your endurance is not full.
(III)Writ of Exaltation: Symbols are larger.
(X)Writ of the Merciful: All symbols heal allies with each pulse.
(XII)Battle Presence: Nearby allies gain Virtue of Resolve's passive effect

Notice the emphasis on healing here? First of, +300 Vitality, +300 Healing Power is very good for what I was trying to achieve, I now heal when I dodge, cast larger symbols that heal the whole party AND give passing healing to the whole party... Sounds pretty good.

6 points in Virtues
+30% Boon duration, +30% Virtue Recharge Rate
Inspired Virtue: Virtues now also apply the following boons to allies when activated:
Justice--> 3 stacks of Might
Resolve--> regeneration
Courage--> protection

Virtue of Retribution: Gain retaliation when you activate a virtue.
Power of the Virtuous: Deal extra damage for each boon you have.
(III)Consecrated Ground: Consecration skills use ground targeting.
(VI)Master of Consecrations: Reduces recharge on consecration skills and increases their durations (20% each)
(IX)Absolute Resolution: Activating Virtue of Resolve removes 3 conditions from nearby allies. Virtue of Resolve's passive effect is stronger.

Here, +30% Boon duration means that all heals or blocks I will apply last longer. More virtues uptime is also pretty good since I can now cure 3 conditions with Virtue of Resolve and apply Regeneration at the same time.

Equipment
Full Cleric armor set (Power, Toughness, Healing Power)
For the first set, I use mace/shield. Let me break it down a bit... Mace auto attacks 3rd strike heals every ally. Mace skill #2 Symbol of Faith gives Regen to ally and now also heals with each pulse thanks to Writ of the Merciful. Mace skill #3 Protector Strike give protection to the party.
For the shield, Skill #4 Shield of Judgement is more protection for the full party and #5 Shield of absorbtion can push-back, absorb projectiles and heal if you detonate it.
For the second set, I use a staff as Orb of light heals, Symbol of Swiftness now also heals with each pulse thanks to Writ of the Merciful, Empower heals entire party and Line of Warding can help fending off foes when needed.

For runes or armor, I use Superior Runes of the Water to get +175 Healing Power, +15% Boon Duration and Party Heal when I heal myself.
For sigils, I use Superior Sigil of Life to gain up to 250 gealing Power (25x stacks) and Superior Sigil of Purity that grants a 60% chance on hit to remove a condition.

Besides that, I use Ascended cleric amulets and necklace, mysterious vine backpiece with soldier rings for the extra vitality I felt was needed. I'm currently sitting at around 16k Health and I don't really want to go lower.

Utility Skills:
Your utility bar is very situational, depending on what kind of support you want to bring to the group. I usually go for reflection and other heals... But shouts could be a valid options. I'll list the ones I like to use:

In the healing slot I use either Shelter or Healing Breeze. Shelter heals you for 5461HP (and a bit your allies thanks to 6x Superior Runes of the Water) while blocking for 2 seconds. Healing Breeze heals you for 3509HP + 5 pulses of 857HP. It also heals your allies in a cone for 5 pulses for 1564HP each. So I guess it depends if you want to go full heal or heal + block.

For the 3 utilities, I usually go Wall of Reflection, Sanctuary and a wild card. Shield of the Avenger brings more projectile protection, Purging Flames is good for condition heavy fights... So take your pick. Could be a shout too...

For Elite skill, I am using Renewed Focus to recharge all my virtues and gain 2 seconds invulnerability, but I'm saving up to try and get Tome of Courage as Light of Deliverance can heal an area for almost 2000HP in a chain for the 20 seconds the tome is up.

So what do you get from this build exactly (with no food buff or anything)?

1. Passive Healing from Virtue of Resolve to you and entire party. 204HP per second. It's a permanent effect you do not need to cast. Take note here that passive Healing from Virtue of Resolve also stacks with Regenaration.
2. Mace #1. Every 3rd attack heals the entire party for 568HP. That's 568HP every 2 seconds for the whole group.
3. Mace #2. Symbol of Faith provides 5 pulses of 211HP healing per pulse (over 4 seconds) as well as Regeneration of 292HP per second for 7.5 seconds.
So only with these 3 skills you get an average of 204+568/2+292+[(5*211)/4]/2 (I divide this last one by 2 to have an average healing over the 8sec cooldown of Symbol of Faith) = 912HP/sec basically in a loop. 912HP! That's 9120HP every 10 seconds! It's like more AoE healing than any other class has for itself (single target).
4. Not enough healing? Drop Sanctuary which now provides 318HP/sec for 7sec. That's 2226HP total.
5. Still not enough? Swap to staff and detonate an orb of light for 1564HP burst healing.
6. Another staff healing with Symbol of swiftness (because we traited for symbols to heal) to get 5 pulses of 210HP healing per pulse (over 4 seconds).
7. Another burst heal is Staff #4 Empower healing for 2793HP
8. One more way to heal? Dodge and you'll heal your party for 1422HP thanks to the trait.
9. Use your Heal Skill and the bonus for 6 runes heals your party for 690 + 0.5 * Healing Power at level 80 (Let's make that 1336HP)
10. Still in a bind? Pop Virtue of Resolve and get 2595HP burst healing as well as a 7.5sec regen for 2044HP totally (That's 272HP/sec)
11. Detonate Shield skill #5 and get 1550HP burst healing if needed.

So there you have it... As you can see there's plenty of healing, and I don't even mention about the aegis and the blocks and so on... If you have a guardian please try this build out. Numbers get even better once you get the 25 stacks of healing power from sigils and extra healing from food buff too. The gear didn't cost me much as I bought the Ruric set on TP for about 1g per piece or armor. Runes are cheap, sigils as well... Have a go and your group will thank you!
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1551
City : Macau
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Tank/Healer guardian build Empty Re: Tank/Healer guardian build

Post by Zero Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 am

What context did you use this build in dungeon/open world. My friend who im leveling with wants to play a tank as well with his guardian. I might have him try this out
Zero
Zero
Light

Male
Guild : Army Of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1552
City : Las Vegas
Hobbies : Vydia games and music
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:08 am

I find it really good in dungeon context... Open world it depends... I still can tag decently in Orr with the staff but it may not be optimum... And I did not use this to level, you take forever to kill stuff on your own.
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1551
City : Macau
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Syll Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:14 am

These are my main points/feedback for your build:
- I've experimented with the symbol healing trait & weapon combos and I don't find them to last long enough or heal enough to make a difference in most scenarios. Also, in most instances, people are going to be relatively close, so bigger symbols is usually unnecessary. I also don't like to trait Resolve to be stronger if you're going to be using it for condition clearing because that just gets rid of a GM trait quite often (that's just my personal preference though.

- Sanctuary & shield are kind of counter-intuitive to most dungeon situations since they throw mobs around (not trying to say they're bad but that is a thing to keep in mind).

- You provide almost 0 utility besides reflects and healing. I usually see (on top of what I run myself) a lot more boon sharing & some form of on-demand stability. I could see this having a lot of problems with any situations with constant poison and multiple conditions being applied in more than 1 or 2 bursts (see Laurent as a good example).

All in all, not a bad build for what you designed it for; just needs to do more than one thing to be more impactful.

Syll
Level 4

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2014-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down