Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defining Knight Expectations

+4
Bhukk
Inuyashapup
Kainis
The Beau Brothers
8 posters

Go down

Defining Knight Expectations Empty Defining Knight Expectations

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 pm

OK, now that we have Squire Expectations, let's talk about Knight Expectations.  Everything that Squire is plus what.  

Take a look at Ratch's post which is good and lets bring it down to some Bullet points.  Let's focus on what we want to do and are willing to do.

https://lightness.forumotion.com/t5741-officer-expectations-edited

OK... Here we go!  I have taken into account everything people have written.  I have tried to boil it down into some bullet points.  If I have overlooked something, please let me know.  If you can see a way to edit my statements and make them more clear/concise, let me know.  If you feel something is unnecessary, too much to ask, or too broad; let me know.

Knights Expectations

First, a Knight must meet all of the expectations for Squire.  Knights will be selected from the ranks of Squires.
Squire Expectations wrote:
Squire:            You are seen talking in Guild Chat regularly. 
                        ... are friendly and helpful to other members.
                        ... start/join parties with other guild members (dungeons/map events/WvW/PvP).
                        ... are not always picky about who can join your parties (Teach).
                        ... participate in guild events/games.
                        ... are a regular participant in Voice-chat (at least once a week other than Guild Missions).
                        ... represent AoL most of the time (~90%).
                        ... are registered on our forum (lightness.forumotion.com).
                        ... have introduced yourself on the forum and participate in threads (Min. Level 1, 10 posts).

In addition to the expectations of Squire, Knights will be expected to:

You Keep the peace in Guild Chat and Teamspeak.  (reprimanding or removing problem members)
...Keep reprimands in whisper whenever possible.  No need to embarrass someone unnecessarily. 
...Take initiative for decisions about members.  Not every decision needs to be discussed in committee. 
...Bring concerns about members, that you are not sure how to handle, to the Lords or Guild Leader.
...Are honest and open with guild members.  We are not a secret society.  Only issues marked confidential or sensitive in nature should be withheld from regular members.
...Take ownership of duties required to operate an efficient guild.  (Recruiting, Repping, Events, etc...) (come up with your own)
...Take pride in helping others.  No officer of AoL should begrudge helping members.  Officers enjoy helping new people.  (That does not mean you have to drop everything and go running all the time.)
...Are patient and kind.
...Groom members for promotion to Squire.  Convince them to get on TS and the forum.  Help them to become the kinds of members we want to play with.
...Assist in the decision making process for matters concerning the guild by posting well thought out responses to issues raised by other officers within a week of the original posting.  
...Set yourself a minimum weekly recruiting goal and do your best to meet it.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Defining Knight Expectations Empty Re: Defining Knight Expectations

Post by Kainis Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:56 am

Knights need to be leaders, we should all be trusted and set examples for other members. Knights should be knowledgeable to answer any question about general gameplay or should have a desire to expand their knowledge to get to that point.

Every officer should have at least one niche they can share with the rest of the guild, whether this be dungeons, fractals, jumping puzzles, map exploration, world bosses, structured PvP, WvW, or anything else I couldn't think of when I posted this.

Ratche emphasized protected discussions among officers. I think we should expect a level of competence and maturity in officers that would make this emphasis unnecessary.

Kainis
Level 4

Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2014-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Inuyashapup Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 pm

I agree with Kainis on this- although I can be obnoxious ahah but also provide a good example as well when representing the guild, if not with our members; i.e being a pug in a dungeon group. Don't want to provide a bad name for the guild by being an ass
Inuyashapup
Inuyashapup
Level 8

Female
Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2014-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Let's give this topic one more week.  Also, see Midway's advice in the Round Table.  He makes a lot of good points.  Please, reply soon.

We can also discuss it in tonight's officer meeting.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhukk Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 pm

I like the way Midway defined Officer's in his post. things should have been handled like that all along imo. And of course Kainis makes some great points. i don't really know what more i would add to the list though.
Bhukk
Bhukk
Level 37

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 371
City : Rata Sum
Hobbies : fractaling
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by seamonster Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

I don't know what I could add to what has already been said.
seamonster
seamonster
Level 21

Male
Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Well, I don't have much to go on here.  I'll look things over and see what I can come up with.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Here is a discussion I had with Killander about the officer position and other rank considerations.  We agreed to post it here.  He makes a lot of good points.  It should be considered when I write up officer expectations.  Also, about loyalty promotions.

• 1:54pm Kayleb Shipley
• I know i should be sleeping right now lol. But knight expectations, I feel like we should embody AoL’s goals and future. We have to show that we are striving to keep AoL in its family style guild, don’t stray from our roots. I think that's what happened with Kitty n Beez, they wanted aol to change to something we aren't.

• 1:56pm Kayleb Shipley
• I have issues trying to make up expectations for a rank i already am, and i do not feel like the final draft should auto be just what we are doing for the guild now. I think the leader and members decide what they want from us, look at what’s reasonable and go from there.
If we need to pick up slack somewhere, then don’t be afraid to add that to our plates
Yes we play to have fun, but we are there to keep AoL running smoothly
I feel like knights should be looked at like an older sibling. Lords like parents and the king like the old granddad we following out of respect for getting us here and trusting he knows best.
A knight is someone we trust to settle disputes for the most part, but a lord is someone's judgment that the king can rely on and trust whose choices are for the good of the guild

• 2:03pm Beau C Jackson
• Good stuff thank you!
• Mind if I post your comments into the thread?
• You've put a lot of my own thoughts into words.
• I've been thinking about why I was constantly at odds with Kitty and the others.

• 2:04pm Kayleb Shipley
I’ve no issue with you posting my words

• 2:04pm Beau C Jackson
They did really want to change AoL in ways that I did not like.

• 2:05pm Kayleb Shipley
I think with redefining expectations, we can try and prevent it from happening again
Dad feels an officer needs to realize that each person has different skill levels and they need to be patient and more concise and descriptive when trying to help teach

• 2:29pm Kayleb Shipley
Dad wanted me to bring it up, ik in the past it’s been a point of soreness. But he feels like he should not be lumped in with regular members, soldiers. He does not strive to be a squire, he doesn’t like TS and doesn’t grasp forum posting, and he feels like just being a soldier is kind of insulting to his reputation i guess you might consider it, because he’s been a loyal member since the start of gw2 and being put back in the bottom because he no longer fits that rank kind of hurts him.

• 2:31pm Beau C Jackson
We can discuss honorary/loyalty promotions. I never had a problem with that. One thing having extra ranks for was nice.

• 2:32pm Kayleb Shipley
True
Thing is however, if we go down that route, then how do you define a loyalty promotion?

2:36pm Beau C Jackson
Yeah 

• 2:36pm Kayleb Shipley
Like, give in for one, the rest will want it
Could go by officer and above voting, but then what’s to stop a charismatic person from charming everyone and then taking guild stash moment promoted?

• 2:37pm Beau C Jackson
Set a minimum membership time. Some squires are already like that. I did not go through and demote anyone.

• 2:37pm Kayleb Shipley
How would you propose tracking membership time?

• 2:38pm Beau C Jackson
forum registration date

• 2:38pm Kayleb Shipley
Not bad idea
Very least, repurpose the zombie rank, since we obviously trust them and they are already loyal members
And then the zombie rank just becomes the loyalty rank full of people we know we can trust and don't get kicked for being inactive without discussion on officer’s forum

• 2:48pm Beau C Jackson
Well Zombies are inactive and it is the lowest standing other than Guild Mission.

• 2:48pm Kayleb Shipley
But you could change permissions. I was just trying to give an idea because im sure people will complain if a new rank gets added

• 2:51pm Beau C Jackson
I don't mind having loyalty promotions. I'm looking at the Squire list there is Wine, Ellory, Mattel (doesn't even rep us any more), Kiera (rarely on), Emanon and a few others
If we were being strict some of them would have to be demoted

2:52pm Kayleb Shipley
True

The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:40 am

Can rename zombie to Maester or w/e and make it the loyalty rank
Zero
Zero
Light

Male
Guild : Army Of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1552
City : Las Vegas
Hobbies : Vydia games and music
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Sorry I can see any of Kilander's post on my wife's tablet. It's grey and white font on a grey background. I Will check again later from my computer
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1551
City : Macau
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Updated the top thread with a draft of new expectations.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by seamonster Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Sounds about right.
seamonster
seamonster
Level 21

Male
Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhukk Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 pm

Looks good to me.
Bhukk
Bhukk
Level 37

Male
Number of posts : 371
City : Rata Sum
Hobbies : fractaling
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Durnik Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 am

No issues with it.
Durnik
Durnik
Level 10

Male
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm

I have posted the expectations for Knight.  We can still discuss editing them, but this topic has been open for three weeks now.  It is time to move on.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party... I've got a few questions/comments:

The Beau Brothers wrote:...Keep reprimands in whisper whenever possible.  No need to embarrass someone unnecessarily. 
...Are honest and open with guild members.  We are not a secret society.  Only issues marked confidential or sensitive in nature should be withheld from regular members.

These two in my opinion are kind of contradicting each other a bit... I see where you're going but we're talking about being open but keep things private in the same paragraph. Also what is the definition of "confidential or sensitive in nature" exactly? I take it that almost anything posted under Officers or Lords sections meets the criteria or else it would be posted in the general section of the forums. Am I correct?

The Beau Brothers wrote:...Take ownership of duties required to operate an efficient guild.  (Recruiting, Repping, Events, etc...) (come up with your own)

I agree with that in the sense that "don't wait to be told to do something to do it"... No one should really own anything just by deciding so, we've had issues with it in the past.

The Beau Brothers wrote:...Assist in the decision making process for matters concerning the guild by posting well thought out responses to issues raised by other officers within a week of the original posting.

Good with that only with an exception made if the officer has made it known he/she was going to be away for some time

The Beau Brothers wrote:...Set yourself a minimum weekly recruiting goal and do your best to meet it.

It's always good to have targets. But I think people recruited and tagged "guild mission" should be excluded from said target.
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1551
City : Macau
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:57 pm

I see what you are saying, but reprimanding an individual is something that I would consider sensitive or confidential. Unless, they have gone so far beyond tolerable limits that they need to be called out publicly. We had a member recently that needed to be addressed publicly a few times. He left on his own fortunately.

I would be happy to discuss most of the topics in the Officers Round Table in the regular Round Table. To me, they are not secret conversations. They are just topics that are boring clerical type business. They are not relevant to the general game play of regular members, until a decision has been made. I'd be happy to discuss all of them in the open. It just seems unnecessary.

When I think of sensitive or confidential, it would be topics related to the fate of an individual, or topics where heated discussion may arise. The parts of the conversation that are disagreeable should be confidential, but the main points should be open for discussion with everyone. This is something that I disagreed strongly with the previous administration on. I did not like the secrecy at all.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content